Residential Service Manager
Beannachar Camphill Community
A residential home and day centre for Young Adults with Additional Support Needs
Beannachar, South Deeside Road, Banchory-Devenick, Aberdeen AB12 5YL
JOB DESCRIPTION – RESIDENTIAL SERVICE MANAGER
The Residential Care and Support Manager provides leadership and management in Beannachar by many means, including:
· Providing leadership to the residential care service staff.
· Holding the overall operational responsibilities for the care and support arrangements of our residential students.
· Working in partnership with the colleagues in the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) in upholding our community ethos and values and sharing responsibility for our strategic direction.
· Providing direct line management to the House Coordinators in the residential houses (currently three houses housing 16 young adults).
· Ensuring compliance with the regulatory framework in which we operate (Care Inspectorate, Scottish Social Services Council).
Summary of Main Responsibilities:
Management and Quality of Residential Services
Regulatory Compliance & Quality Assurance
· Leads the House Coordinators’ Team in their task of maintaining Beannachar’s high standards of care and implementing strategic plans for care and support services.
· Responsible for meeting all regulatory requirements and ensuring compliance with the Care Inspectorate, SSSC’s Codes of Practice and Health and Social Care Standards.
· Ensures compliance with Beannachar’s care and support related Policies and Procedures, and the regular review and update of these with other members of the SLT, as required.
· Is responsible for monitoring safeguarding and ensuring that any incidents are managed and reported accordingly.
· Quality Assuring House Coordinators’ delivery of care and support including auditing of Infection Control and Prevention (IPC) requirements.
· Prepare management reports as required for the Board of Trustees.
· Ensures compliance with the Care Inspectorate.
· Contributes to and has oversight of residential service Health and Safety.
Providing Support & Team Leadership
· Supports and leads the House Coordinators in their roles maintaining and developing Beannachar’s distinctive residential care service.
· Ensures that the Camphill ethos is embedded in all operational aspects of community life.
· Works collaboratively and constructively with colleagues and teams at Beannachar and leads by example.
· Represents Beannachar’s aims and objectives, culture and ethos professionally and in a leadership capacity to stakeholders, both inside and out with Beannachar.
· Ensure effective communication between the House Coordinators and the Day Services.
· Supports and participates in cultural and social events at Beannachar.
· Advises and supports House Coordinators, staff and co-workers in residential houses to best meet the needs of students by advancing the goals set out in students’ Personal Support Plans.
Human Resource Management, Training and Development
· Provide regular House Coordinators’ support and supervision.
· Ensure safe staffing levels and that the support needs of students are resourced with the appropriate number of suitably skilled, experienced and qualified staff and co-workers.
· Ensure staffing rotas are in place for the residential houses, ensuring that any gaps are identified and covered in a timely manner.
· Ensure that care teams are trained for their roles and responsibilities and have access to appropriate learning and development opportunities.
· Keep abreast of best practice and emerging research to support people with learning disabilities.
· Promotes any beneficial training and ensures compliance with mandatory training framework.
Students Admissions, Referrals and Transitions
· Actively seek referrals, processes student admissions and arrange trial placements for potential residential students, ensuring that vacancies are filled within agreed time frames.
· Support any planned transitions of students.
· Ensure that the resident placement target occupancy levels (as agreed in the strategic plan and in line with care registration) are met.
· Promotes good quality liaison with students’ parents, families and carers, as appropriate.
· Ensure Annual and Internal Reviews of students (6-monthly basis) take place, ensuring that these are well prepared, communicated, and reports sent out in a timely manner.
· Foster strong collaborative working with external professionals such as social workers to ensure robust outcomes for residential students
· Oversight and scrutiny of household budgets ensuring the efficient use of resources.
· Contribute to the annual budget planning.
· Carries out care and support assessments to establish that fees, support contracts and staffing cover are contract compliant and adequately financed by the Local Authorities.
· To supervise house coordinators.
· To ensure that our international one-year placement volunteers are supported within the residential houses and undertake the necessary training for their role
· To facilitate the House Coordinators (HCs) meetings (weekly).
· To be a key participant of the Senior Leadership Team meetings (weekly).
· To visit each house once per month as a minimum. Different times (getting up/breakfast lunch, evenings) should be chosen so that a range of activities can be observed, and different staff met with.
· To ensure that individual or group supervision records are kept in the houses and are up to date.
· To ensure that medication records are demonstrating best practice.
· To analyse incident/accident report forms and ensure that a narrative is provided in a monthly frequency to HC meetings and to the LMT.
· To attend a random sample of residential reviews per year for which you are not directly involved.
· Health and Safety – contributes to compliance, liaise with Health and Safety Officer and facilities and maintenance team as required.
· Perform any other reasonable tasks, duties and responsibilities which may be required from time to time to fulfil the role of Residential Service Manager and meet the aims and objectives of Beannachar Camphill Community.
The Residential Service Manager
· Reports to the Community Director
· Direct Reports – House Coordinators (in the absence of a House Coordinator, provides support to Assistant House Coordinators)
- You must have a Registered Manager Award – SVQ Social Services & Healthcare SCQF Level 9 and SVQ Care Services Leadership & Management SCQF Level 10 (or a well-grounded commitment to achieve these awards)
- You must have operational experience at senior level in a social care setting
- You must have experience of compliance with regulatory bodies
- You must have people management and leadership skills and experience
- You must be educated to degree level or equivalent
- You must have a full, clean driving license
· 40 hours per week flexible working (typically 9-5pm) not including share of on-call arrangements
· 32 days annual leave entitlement(inclusive of any public holidays)
· Gross annual salary of £36,000
· 6% employer pension contribution
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £36,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Free parking
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday